15 May 2010

Change of Plans Part II

Part of getting an administrative degree is having intern hours.  Hours are required at the secondary level, as well as the elementary level  (250 hours at each, to be exact).

The easiest way to get hours, and to booster up the old vita to get a permanent position, is to be an intern vice principal.  Since I have been accepted into USU's program, I qualify for being able to apply for next year's intern position within my district.

Yep; even though I've yet to take a class on HOW to be an administrator, I can apply to be an intern and pretend to know everything I should know for the interview process within the district.

After reviewing types of questions I may or may not be asked with my boss, watching the employment board intently for signs of openings for interns, I applied to be an intern, and began the waiting game.

Two weeks after applying, I received a phone call scheduling the interview.  It was May 4, at 11am.  I would be one of 31 applicants applying for four positions.  Hmm, hello.  I didn't think I had a chance in hell.

I was a bit of a nervous wreck, as always in stressful situations, the morning of the interview.  I dressed very professional (even wore freaking nylons for heaven's sake!) and was ready for whatever.

The interviewing process could be streamlined a bit better, and I of course was thinking of ways an instructional designer (Master's #1 I'd like to point out) could whip the process into shape, while I waited for my turn.  You get to go into three different rooms, and be interviewed by two principals at the same time, in each room. One room had two principals at one end of a conference table, and two more at the other end interviewing someone else.  Very weird.  As you answer their pre-determined questions (one question each) they furiously scribble down whatever they deem important enough to hopefully remember you by the end of the process.

Intimidating?  A bit.  However, I feel I've been in the district long enough that I could at least realize who each principal was, and who I really needed to impress (a.k.a. kiss up to).

One week later.....I received a call on the intercom from the secretary stating I have a phone call to take in the library.  When I got there, and asked the librarian if he knew who it was, he said, "I think it's your mom".  I of course went into panic mode wondering what had happened to my mom, my step-dad, my siblings, the dog, the house, my extended family, etc.  (I am a bit of a drama queen in case you haven't figured that out already).

It was the director of student relations (i.e. the lady in charge of the interns) and she said I had been chosen.

Did you get that!?!  CHOSEN!  I WAS ONE OF THE FOUR interns chosen for next year.  Chosen out of 31 applicants.

Yes, I'm tooting my own horn, but I'm pretty darn proud of myself.  I feel bad for coworkers who interviewed as well but weren't chosen, but I have to move forward and be proud for myself of what I've accomplished.

Now I just wait in anticipation to find out where I'll be next year.

Oh, and can I also gloat and state I was the second choice.  SECOND!

Okay, I'll be humble once again and stop gloating.  Those who know me know I hardly ever do, seriously, as I am the hardest person on myself.  I don't really think anything I do is that great, but I honestly feel good about this.

5 comments:

Lisa Zindel said...

That is so awesome! I am so happy for you. . . and YES, you can toot your own horn for as long as you want. You so deserve it! Congratulations!

K and M K said...

Wow...WOW! Jo, I had NO idea that it was THAT big of a feat! I am so completely amazed by you. Congratulations!

cristie said...

CHOSEN...CHOSEN...CHOSEN!

you are without a doubt. xox

Congrats. you are deserving.

Nancy said...

Congrats! I'm so excited for you. You'll be awesome.

Sean, Em and Milo Volk said...

Toot Toot!!! Congratulations! Em