11 May 2010

The Change of Plans

It’s amazing how things happen in one’s life.  I was all set to be getting married, and then, as we all know, that idea went straight to hell.  When I realized June would not be the month for me to wear white and my sexy purple shoes,  I applied to the Supervisory/Administration program (a.k.a the program to become a vice principal/principal) at USU for the summer.  It’s a two year program, pretty much a second Masters degree, that is basically completed within seven weeks.

Insane, yes.

Only 25 applicants are taken.  When I applied, I did it within one day of the deadline.  I have to give a huge thanks to my boss, my supervisor at the district, and a college professor from last year for writing some kick butt letters of recommendation. 

After paying the big bucks for the last minute of everything, I received an email 10 days later stating there were 30 extra applicants and would anyone care to defer until the Fall.  Well, we are all teachers trying to move up in the world, so obviously deferring isn’t an option.  I replied that I wanted to stay in consideration for Summer, and then I waited, leaving it up to whatever will be will be.

The most intimidating part is when I had to do the phone interview.  I had eight minutes to answer questions from six different people, all on the phone at the same time.  Supposedly I was given a guideline as to what would be asked.  Well, I was only asked two of the questions on the guideline; the rest was off the cuff.  Apparently my BS answers were fabulous because…..

I was accepted.

My last day of work is June 4th, a Friday, and my first day of classes is June 7th, a Monday.  I will be doing two classes every two weeks, with an evening online course as well.

I did say it was insane.

3 comments:

naptime nostalgia said...

This is such great news! Congrats! You deserve a little goodness right now. I however would not consider going back to schoool good news, but for you, I know it's great. So congrats!

Nancy said...

Congrats! My brother-in-law came to California several years ago to get his teaching certificate (it was easier to get a CA teaching certificate and use it in Oregon than to get one in Oregon). He ended up staying in CA, deciding to go back to school again for his administrator degree, was vice principal at my old high school for a few years and is now the principal of a charter high school that starts in the Fall. Nothing goes as planned, but it all works out. Very exciting.

Sean, Em and Milo Volk said...

Congrats jo! Have fun in Logan! Em